William F. Flanagan
Dean and Professor of Law
J.D. Toronto, D.E.A. (Paris I), LL.M. (Columbia Univ.)
Faculty of Law,
tel: (613) 533-6000, ext. 74285
- International Economic Law
- Business Associations
- Property Law
- W.F. Flanagan,Book Review: "Redefining Sovereignty in International Law" (2009) 34 Queen’s Law Journal 929-939.
- W.F. Flanagan and G. Whiteman, " ‘AIDS is not a Business’: A Study in Global Corporate Responsibility” in J. Hooker, A. Kolk and P. Madsen eds., Perspectives on International Corporate Responsibility (Carnegie Mellon University, 2005); reprinted (2007) 73 Journal of Business Ethics 65-75; and forthcoming S.J. Shapiro, M. Tadajewski, and C.J. Shultz eds. Macromarketing (Sage Publications, 2009).
- W.F. Flanagan, “TRIPS and Access to Medications: Recent Developments in Canada and Europe” in C. Waters, ed. British and Canadian Perspectives on International Law (Martinus Nijhoff, 2006).
- “Chapter 15: Co-ownership” in Anne Warner La Forest ed., Anger and Honsberger Law of Real Property, 3rd ed. (Aurora: Canada Law Book Inc., 2006).
- W.F. Flanagan and G. Whiteman, “Ethics Codes and Multinational Corporations as Minority Shareholders: The Case of a Bauxite Mine in Brazil” in W. Cragg, ed. Ethics Codes, Corporations and the Challenge of Globalization (Edward Edgar Publishers, 2005), pp. 212-241.
- A. Anand and W. F. Flanagan, eds. Crime in the Corporation - 11th Queen's Annual Business Law Symposium 2004 (Kingston: Queen's Annual Business Symposium, 2006).
- A. Anand and W. F. Flanagan, eds. Conflicts of Interest in the Capital Markets Structures - 10thQueen's Annual Business Law Symposium 2003 (Kingston: Queen's Annual Business Symposium, 2005).
- M.J. Mossman and W.F. Flanagan, Property Law: Cases and Commentary, 2d ed. (Toronto: Emond Montgomery, 2004).
- A. Anand and W. F. Flanagan, eds. The Corporation in the 21st Century - 9th Queen's Annual Business Law Symposium 2002 (Kingston: Queen's Annual Business Symposium, 2004).
- W.F. Flanagan, C. Major, I.. Salit, L. Calzavara, S. Read, V. Saldanha, "Access to HIV Medications in Russia: Lessons from Brazil" XV International AIDS Conference - (Bangkok, Thailand, 2004).
- A. Anand and W. F. Flanagan, eds. Responding to Globalization - 8th Queen's Annual Business Law Symposium 2001 (Kingston: Queen's Annual Business Symposium, 2002).
- W.F. Flanagan, "Fiduciary Duties in Commercial Relationships: When Does the ‘Commercial' Become the ‘Personal'?" in Law Commission of Canada ed.,Personal Relationships of Dependence and Interdependence in Law,(Vancouver: UBC Press, 2002) pp. 57-77.
- W.F. Flanagan, "Fiduciary Duties in Commercial Relations: When does the Market Place Set the Rules?" in Selected Topics in Corporate Litigation - 7th Queen's Annual Business Law Symposium 2000(Kingston: Queen's Annual Business Symposium, 2001), pp. 1-25.
- W.F. Flanagan, "HIV/AIDS and Human Rights in Russia: Compliance and the Rule of Law" (2001) 39(1) Osgoode Hall Law Journal 39-76.
Recent Professional Achievements
- President of the Canadian Council of Law Deans, 2010 to present.
- Member of the National Action Committee on Access to Justice, 2011 to present.
- Appointed Dean of Law July 2005.
- President of the Board of the Ontario HIV Treatment Network (2003-2008), a non-profit organization that conducts and funds HIV research with an annual $8 million grant from the Province of Ontario.
- Executive Director and co-founder of the Canada AIDS Russia Project, a HIV/AIDS training and research project in Russia sponsored with a $2.4 million grant from the Canadian International Development Agency (2001-2004).
- Director and Founder of the Queen’s Law Global Law Programs at the Queen's University's International Study Centre in the U.K. (2001-2005).