Professor Gail Henderson joined Queen's University Faculty of Law as assistant professor in July 2016. Her research interests include corporate law, corporate governance, corporate social responsibility, securities regulation and the regulation of financial institutions.
Professor Henderson graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School as Gold Medalist in 2005, and served as law clerk to The Honourable Louise Charron of the Supreme Court of Canada. Prior to pursuing graduate studies at the University of Toronto, she practiced commercial litigation and environmental and municipal law at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP in Toronto. Her doctoral research focused on the role of corporate governance in encouraging greater corporate environmental responsibility. Professor Henderson has received funding for her research from the Ireland Canada University Foundation, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, the Canadian Foundation for Governance Research and the Canadian Centre for Ethics & Corporate Policy.
Prior to joining Queen's, Professor Henderson was Assistant Professor at the University of Alberta Faculty of Law.
Ongoing research projects
Group RESP Research and Education Project, funded by the Law Foundation of Ontario and led by SEED Winnipeg, investigating gaps in investor protection of low-income investors in group plan RESPs.
Recent Publications & Presentations
For a complete list of publications, please consult Professor Henderson's CV.
- “Could Community Contribution Companies Improve Access to Justice?” (2016) 94:2 Canadian Bar Review 209-40 (peer reviewed). Open access: https://cbaapps.org/cba_barreview/Search.aspx?VolDate=12%2f01%2f2016
- With Anna Lund et al, “Reconciliation in the Corporate-Commercial Classroom” (2016) 2:1 Lakehead Law Journal 49-63 (peer reviewed). Open access: https://llj.lakeheadu.ca/article/view/1493/827
- With Blanaid Clarke, “Directors as Guardians of the Public Interest: Lessons from the Irish Banking Crisis” (2016) 16:1 Journal of Corporate Law Studies 187-220 (peer reviewed).
- With Blanaid Clarke, “Are Public Interest Directors a Good Idea? Lessons from the Irish Banking Crisis” (2015) University College Dublin Working Papers in Law, Criminology & Socio-Legal Studies, Research Paper No. 11/2015.
- “The Regulation of Foreign Direct Investment by State-Owned Enterprises in Canada” (2013) AIIFL Working Paper No. 14.
- “The Materiality of Climate Change and the Role of Voluntary Disclosure” (2009) Comparative Research in Law & Political Economy, CLPE Research Paper 47/2009, Vol. 05 No. 09.
- “Alternatives to the Public Company? Hybrid Corporations”, The Estey Workshop on Business Law: The Future of the Public Company, Calgary, October 14, 2016. (Invited speaker)
- “CSR and the Business Judgment Rule”, To Pursue or Not to Pursue CSR – Legal Risks and Liabilities Conference, Copenhagen, October 6-7, 2016. (Invited speaker)