Queen's Law

Faculty of Law
Faculty of Law

Photo of group of students

Incoming Exchange Students

Queen's Faculty of Law is renowned for its special combination of academic excellence and community spirit, placing it within the first rank of Canadian law schools. Queen's offers students a friendly, collegial university experience in the dynamic small city of Kingston, Ontario.  We look forward to welcoming you to the Faculty.

How to Apply

Please see the Queen’s Faculty of Law Information Sheet for more information on how to apply to Queen’s Law.

Queen's Law Study Abroad [PDF 1.3 MB]

English Language Requirement
The Faculty requires incoming exchange students whose first language is not English to complete a TOEFL examination. This requirement ensures that students have not only conversational ability in English, but can cope with the extensive technical readings and legal analysis required in the faculty's courses.  Please see the Queen’s Faculty of Law Information Sheet for Exchange Partners for minimum requirements.

Admitted students can also apply for language-based requests for additional examination time. For more information, please contact Helen Connop, Manager of Education and Equity Services.

Studying at Queen’s Law

Course Information
Exchange students take JD upper-year courses. The normal course load for Queen's Law students is 14 to 17 credits per term. In addition to scheduled courses, it is sometimes possible to do an Independent Study Project with one of our full-time faculty members.

Please contact Heather Cole, Assistant Dean of Students, regarding academic advising and course selection.

Course List and Descriptions
Upper-Year Timetables
Exam Timetable

Support and Services 
The Student Services Office staff are here to support students and help facilitate their success in the JD program. We want you to enjoy your time at Queen’s Law and encourage you to explore all of the opportunities available to you, both academic and co-curricular while studying here.

Manager of International Programs: Chantal Rousseau
Assistant Dean of Students: Heather Cole

Special Needs and Disability Accommodations, Upper-Year Tutoring Program
If you have any special needs arising from a disability, please let us know so that we can make arrangements to put the suitable accommodations in place for the adaptation of course materials, if needed, or for examination accommodations. 

There is also an upper-year tutoring program available for students.

Please contact Helen Connop, Manager of Education and Equity Services, for more information.

Other Resources
Sessional Dates
Examination Information  
Academic Calendar

Student Life

Queen’s Law is a vibrant and collegial community, with a longstanding commitment to an inclusive and accessible legal education. As well as dedicated scholars, our law school is involved in community service and outreach, charitable fundraising, student club activities and student government. There are over 30 student clubs with over 300 students involved, and over 10 intramural teams. 

Orientation and Buddy Program
Special orientation and welcoming events are planned for incoming Queen's Law exchange students in each term. Exchange students are encouraged to attend these events.

In the fall, the Faculty of Law offers an Orientation week for the incoming first-year class and new upper-year students to Queen’s Law, which runs from August 31 – September 6, 2018 (TBC). Students can also participate in an Orientation Buddy Program, which pairs them with an upper-year law student. In both terms, the faculty hosts formal and informal welcome events, including registration, a tour of the law school, welcome reception, and an academic orientation.

Students are encouraged to contact the Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) before arriving in Kingston, and to visit it soon after arrival. The International Centre welcomes and assists all international students studying at Queen's, and many useful programs and services are available.

Explore Kingston
Kingston offers the perfect blend of a quaint small-town feel with big city amenities. Discover Kingston.

Living in Kingston Guide 
The Living in Kingston Guide has a range of online resources to help you get set up. Topics include: banking, foodshopping economically, transportation in Kingston, and setting up a cell phone.

Queen's University International Centre
General information for international students is available through Queen's University International Centre


Incoming international exchange students live off-campus in nearby privately owned housing, usually within a 15-minute walking distance to law school. We recommend students come to Kingston at least one week in advance to find adequate accommodation, as furnished housing is in high demand in the fall. It is also strongly recommended that students do not sign a lease or send rent money to a landlord before arriving in Kingston.

There are many resources available at Queen’s to assist students with finding housing in Kingston. Incoming exchange students will also be invited to the Queen’s Law International facebook group, and can connect with other incoming exchange students to find possible roommates, as well reach out to Queen’s Law students going out on exchange regarding possible sublets.

This short video by Queen’s Law students Colby Harris and Chris Lupis gives an overview of Kingston neighbourhoods and Queen's Law.

Medical Insurance

Enrollment in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is compulsory for all international students registered at Queen’s University. International students will be automatically enrolled in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for each term of their enrollment at Queen’s University. The fee for single UHIP coverage will appear on the student fee account prior to the start of each term under the title “International Health Care”. Payment of the UHIP premium in full is required to register. UHIP rates for 2018-19 will be announced on June 1, 2018. For reference, please see the fees for the 2017-18 academic year. For use in Canada, UHIP coverage will begin on August 10 (for September starts) and December 10 (for January starts). If you plan to arrive in Canada before that date, please ensure that you have adequate emergency medical coverage and travel insurance.

More information: http://quic.queensu.ca/incoming/healthinsuranceandcare.asp

Law exchange students also have the option of purchasing the Society of Graduate and Professional Students (SGPS) student government’s supplementary health and dental plans, if they wish to have additional coverage on items not covered under UHIP.  Please see sgps.ca/sgps-health-and-dental-plan/ for opt-in deadlines and fees.

Before you Arrive

Visas and Permits
Students planning to study in Canada for one term (less than six months), may study under temporary resident status as a visitor. For any period longer than six months (two terms), a study permit is required. Students from some countries require a temporary resident visa (entry visa) to be eligible to enter Canada. Most people that do not require a visa, require electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly into Canada.

Further information:
Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) - Studying in Canada
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Government of Canada - Find out if you need a visa

If your research results in further questions, you can also contact an International Student Adviser at: isa@queensu.ca.