Researchers in the Faculty of Law conduct research across the world, and, in turn, welcome visiting scholars and researchers to Queen’s to further their own research as well as collaborate with Queen’s Law faculty members.
Visiting Scholars: We invite professors, practitioners, Post-Doctoral Researchers, and judges to visit Queen’s to conduct their own research and collaborate with Queen’s faculty members.
Visiting Researchers: We invite Ph.D. students from other universities to collaborate with fellow graduate students at Queen’s and conduct their research here under the mentorship of a faculty member. For information on the process and application contact the law Graduate Assistant, Dianne Flint at email@example.com
Deadline to apply to the Visiting Scholar program: (to visit January - April); (to visit May – August or September-December).
What the Queen’s Faculty of Law provides:
- Full library privileges
- IT access and support
- Invitations to attend Faculty events and talks
Essential factsVisiting Scholars:
- Office space is very limited: it cannot be guaranteed for visiting scholars, and is subject to prior agreement. There is open workspace in the Lederman Law Library and in other libraries on campus.
- Health Coverage: International visitors who are here for more than three weeks must sign up for the University Health Insurance Plan.
- Immigration: If you are an international visitor, you may require a visa to enter Canada. Make yourself aware of the lead-time necessary for applying for a visa (depends on your country). International visitors should visit the Queen's University International Visitors page for further information.
- Housing: Visitors are required to find their own accommodation.
How to apply
Make contact with a Faculty member to ask if they are willing to host or supervise your visit. You may review Faculty Member profiles here. Send them an email with your research plan and current C.V. Ask them to, in return, provide you with an email or letter stating that they are willing to host or supervise your visit and outlining the benefits of your visit to Queen’s University Faculty of Law.
Complete the application form send it to the email address on the form along with your supporting documents before the deadlines: August 15 (to visit January - April); February 15 (to visit May – August or September-December).
Supporting Documents for Visiting Scholars:
- Cover Letter (clearly state proposed faculty member willing to host/supervise visit)
- Research Proposal (250-500 words)
- Letter from faculty member confirming their willingness to host/supervise your visit
If you have any questions about this process, please e-mail the Human Resources and Staffing Officer.