The International Law Programs were taught online in 2020. We hope to be able to offer the programs at the BISC in 2021, although we will offer them online if travel is not possible. We will provide students with an update about our plans at a Zoom information session on Friday, October 16th at 3:00pm. In the meantime, contact Gillian at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Law Graduates - Join the Castle Alumni Network
Reflecting Queen's Law's commitment to an international perspective in the study of law, the International Law Programs are integrated academic programs in international law that run each May and June. Hosted at the Bader International Study Centre (BISC) at Herstmonceux Castle, East Sussex, U.K., this unique learning opportunity combines an 8-week intensive course of international law with field study visits to law firms, international organizations, and international courts. Instructors and guests are prominent figures in international law who bring their practical experience to the classroom. The program offers networking opportunities, including a career options evening with alumni and friends of the program. Students choose either International Business Law or Public International Law.
10 Reasons to Attend the International Law Programs
- Gain a comprehensive overview of the field of international law from leading practitioners in the field
- Visit international courts, international organizations, law firms and Canadian missions in London, Geneva, and The Hague (Public International Law) or London, Geneva, Brussels, and Paris (International Business Law)
- Study in small and highly interactive classes
- Build your profile for future job applications
- Earn 9 Queen’s Law upper-year course credits, which Queen's students can use to graduate early or to do an international internship during law school
- Find out how to build a career in international law
- Use weekends to travel throughout Europe
- Build lasting friendships and networks with your classmates, instructors, and alumni
- Be ahead of the curve, as international law is increasingly relevant in all aspects of law
- Enjoy the cultural experience of living, studying, and travelling abroad
The Bader International Study Centre (BISC) at Herstmonceux Castle is situated on an historic 500-acre estate in East Sussex, U.K., two hours south-east of London. Herstmonceux Castle houses the educational, administrative, and dining facilities, while students live in Bader Hall, a modern three-story residence. The castle grounds feature extensive formal gardens and woodland walkways.
The BISC is a close-knit community. Students enjoy weeknight social and sports programs with law and other students, and can meet friends at the castle coffee house or pub. Mini-buses provide access to local stores, restaurants, and movie theatres, as well as sightseeing destinations nearby.