2024 Program Update
November 13th, 2023
Herstmonceux Castle has been unexpectedly closed so that necessary structural repairs can be completed – see https://www.queensu.ca/gazette/stories/update-operations-bader-college.
The International Law Program directors are working with the senior administration to determine whether and where they can offer programs in May and June that will provide students with the academic and professional advantages of the ‘castle programs’ at another location. If you have already submitted an application, the directors will keep you posted. If you were planning to apply, you may still do so. The directors understand that students would need to know what is being offered, where, and at what cost before considering the offer of a place, and by submitting an application you will ensure that you are kept informed about the plans.
Please email Gillian Ready at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Reflecting Queen's Law's commitment to an international perspective in the study of law, the International Law Programs are integrated academic programs in international law that run each May and June. Hosted at Bader College at Herstmonceux Castle, East Sussex, U.K., this unique learning opportunity combines an 8-week intensive academic program in international law with field study visits to law firms, international organizations, and international courts. Instructors and guests are prominent figures in international law who bring their practical experience to the classroom. The program offers many networking opportunities, including a career options evening at the castle with alumni and friends of the program. Students choose to study either International Business Law or Public International Law.
10 Reasons to Attend the International Law Programs
- Gain a comprehensive overview of the field of international law from leading practitioners and academics
- Study in small and highly interactive classes
- Visit international courts, international organizations, law firms, and Canadian missions in London, The Hague, and Geneva (Public International Law) or London, Paris and Geneva (International Business Law)
- Find out how to build a career in international law
- Build lasting friendships and networks with your classmates, instructors, guests, and alumni
- Be ahead of the curve, as international law is increasingly relevant in all aspects of law
- Build your profile for future job applications
- Complete 9 upper-year credits before 2L summer or articling recruitment
- Enjoy the cultural experience of living, studying, and travelling abroad
- Use weekends to travel throughout the UK and Europe
Bader College is situated on the historic 500-acre Herstmonceux Castle estate in East Sussex, U.K., two hours south-east of London. The castle houses the educational, administrative, and dining facilities, while students live in Bader Hall, a modern three-story residence. The castle grounds feature extensive gardens and woodland walkways.
Bader College is a close-knit community. Students enjoy weeknight social and sports programs with law and other students, and can meet friends and instructors at the castle tearoom and pub. Mini-buses provide frequent access to local stores, restaurants, and movie theatres, as well as sightseeing destinations nearby.
Questions? Contact the International Law Programs team:
Program Director Gillian Ready
Academic Director Ardi Imseis
Associate Academic Director Nicolas Lamp