Queen's Faculty of Law is renowned for its special combination of academic excellence and community spirit, placing it within the first rank of Canadian law schools. Queen's offers students a friendly, collegial university experience in the dynamic small city of Kingston, Ontario.  We look forward to welcoming you to the Faculty.

How to Apply

Please see the Queen’s Faculty of Law Information Sheet for more information on how to apply to Queen’s Law.

English Language Requirement

The Faculty may require incoming exchange students whose first language is not English to provide proof of English Language Proficiency. This ensures that students have conversational English ability and can cope with the extensive technical readings and legal analysis required in the faculty's courses. Please see Queen’s University English Language Requirements for more information. 

Admitted students can also apply for language-based requests for additional examination time.

Studying at Queen’s Law

Course Informationstudents studying in law library
Exchange students take JD upper-year courses. The normal course load for Queen's Law students is 14 to 17 credits per term. In addition to scheduled courses, it is sometimes possible to do an Independent Study Project with one of our full-time faculty members. 

View our Queen's Law Course Information.

Support and Services 
The Student Services Office staff are here to support students and help facilitate their success in the JD program. We want you to enjoy your time at Queen’s Law and encourage you to explore all of the opportunities available to you, both academic and co-curricular while studying here. Contact a member of the Student Services team.

Special Needs and Disability Accommodations, Upper-Year Tutoring Program
If you have any special needs arising from a disability, please let us know so that we can make arrangements to put suitable accommodations in place for the adaptation of course materials if needed, or for examination accommodations. 

There is also an upper-year tutoring program available for students.

Please contact Law Accommodations and Academic Support Services, for more information.

Student Life

Hockey gameQueen’s Law is a vibrant and collegial community, with a longstanding commitment to an inclusive and accessible legal education. As well as dedicated scholars, our law school is involved in community service and outreach, charitable fundraising, student club activities and student government. There are over 30 student clubs with over 300 students involved and over 10 intramural teams. 

In the fall, the Faculty of Law offers an Orientation Week for the incoming first-year class and new upper-year students to Queen’s Law. In the winter, students are invited to attend a general orientation for all incoming Queen's exchange students.

Students are encouraged to contact the Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) before arriving in Kingston and to visit it soon after arrival. The International Centre welcomes and assists all international students studying at Queen's, and many useful programs and services are available.

Queen's International Student Guidebook

It is highly recommended that students utilize the Queen's International Student Guidebook, prepared by the QUIC for incoming international students. This guide contains pre-arrival information for international students coming to Queen’s University to help them prepare for their travel to and arrival in Canada, as well as starting their studies at Queen’s University in Kingston. 

Read the International Student Guidebook NowKingston City Hall

 Explore Kingston
 Kingston offers the perfect blend of a quaint small-town feel with big-city amenities. Discover Kingston.

 Queen's University International Centre
 General information for international students is available through Queen's University International Centre


Incoming international exchange students live off-campus in nearby privately-owned housing, usually within a 15-minute walking distance to law school. We recommend students come to Kingston at least one week in advance to find adequate accommodation, as furnished housing is in high demand in the fall. It is also strongly recommended that students do not sign a lease or send rent money to a landlord before arriving in Kingston.

There are many resources available at Queen’s to assist students with finding housing in Kingston. Incoming exchange students will also be invited to the Queen’s Law International Facebook group and can connect with other incoming exchange students to find possible roommates, as well as reach out to Queen’s Law students going out on exchange regarding possible sublets.

Market Square Ice-skating
Queen’s Community Housing
QUIC Housing Information & Listings
Kingston Student Housing Co-op
City of Kingston Student Site

Medical Insurance

Enrollment in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is compulsory for all international students registered at Queen’s University. International students will be automatically enrolled in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for each term of their enrollment at Queen’s University. The fee for single UHIP coverage will appear on the student fee account prior to the start of each term under the title “International Health Care”. Payment of the UHIP premium in full is required to register. For use in Canada, UHIP coverage will begin in mid-August (for September starts) and mid-December (for January starts). If you plan to arrive in Canada before this time, please ensure that you have adequate emergency medical coverage and travel insurance.

More information: https://quic.queensu.ca/uhip/ 

Law exchange students can also purchase the Society of Graduate and Professional Students (SGPS) student government’s supplementary health and dental plans if they wish to have additional coverage on items not covered under UHIP.  Please see sgps.ca/sgps-health-and-dental-plan/ for opt-in deadlines and fees.

Before you Arrive

Visas and Permits
Students planning to study in Canada for one term (less than six months), may study under temporary resident status as a visitor. For any period longer than six months (two terms), a study permit is required. Students from some countries require a temporary resident visa (TRV) to be eligible to enter Canada. Most people that do not require a visa, require electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly into Canada.

Further information: 
Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) - Studying in Canada
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Government of Canada - Find out if you need a visa

If your research results in further questions, you can also contact an International Student Adviser at: isa@queensu.ca.