- Health Law
- Mental Health Law
Recent Professional Achievements
- Published articles on drug advertising and research
- Presented papers to the Congress of the International Academy of Law and Mental Health and the Urban Health and Race Law Conference at DePaul University College of Law
- Co-edited a collection of papers, “Catalysts for University Education in Developmental Disabilities” and wrote one of the papers, "Here Be Dragons?", on teaching law to medical practitioners
- Directs the Law Program, School of Medicine
I am currently working on images of inequality in prescription drug advertisements, and on innovation in the pharmaceutical field and its impact on women’s health.
Selected Articles in Journals and Book Chapters
- “Knowledge and Power: Drug Products Liability Actions and Women’s Health”, in Feminist Perspectives on Tort Law. Janice Richardson and Erika Rackley (eds.) (Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge Press, 2012), at pp. 105-125.
- “Informed Consent” in Canadian Health Law and Policy. Jocelyn Downie, Timothy Caulfield and Colleen Flood (eds.) 4th ed. (Markham: LexisNexis, 2011) at pp. 153-194, and 3rd ed. (Markham: LexisNexis Butterworths, 2007), at 189-221.
- “Vaccines and the Emerging Challenges for Public Health Law”, in Public Health Law and Policy in Canada. Tracey M. Bailey, Timothy C. Caulfield, and Nola M. Ries (eds.) (Markham: LexisNexis Butterworths, 2005) at 131-163 and 2nd ed. (2008) at 133-177 and 3rd edition, forthcoming.
- Contributor, Halsbury’s Laws of Canada, Public Health. LexisNexis Canada: Markham, 2010.
- “Gender Equity in Clinical Trials in Canada: Aspiration or Achievement?”, with Roxanne Mykitiuk, (2008) 2 International Journal of Feminist Approaches to Bioethics (IJFAB) 100-124.
- “Litigating Antidepressants: Challenging Constructs of Health in Pharmaceutical Promotion” in Brave New World of Health. Belinda Bennett, Terry Carney, and Isabel Karpin (eds.) (Annandale, NSW: Federation Press, 2008), at pp. 166-181.
- “Directing Consumption: Direct-to-Consumer Advertising and Global Public Health”, in Globalization and Health: Challenges for Health Law and Bioethics, Belinda Bennett and George Tomossy (eds.), (Amsterdam: Springer, 2006) at 109-128.
- “The Power of Illusion and the Illusion of Power: Direct-to-Consumer Advertising and Canadian Health Care”, in Just Medicare. Colleen Flood (ed.) (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2006) at 355-378.
- “Signs of Inequality: Constructing Disability in Antidepressant Drug Advertising”, with Elaine Carty, (2003) Health Law Journal, Special Edition: Precedent and Innovation, Health Law in the 21st Century, 161-184.
- “Manufacturing Uncertainty: Adverse Effects of Drug Development for Women” (2003) 26(5) International Journal of Law and Psychiatry, Special Issue on Locating Psychiatry and Women’s Mental Health, Sept./Oct. 2003, 515-532.
- “Semiotics, Stereotypes, and Women’s Health: Signifying Inequality in Drug Advertising”, with Elaine Carty, (2001) 13 Canadian Journal of Women and the Law 326-360.
- “Innovation, Myths and Equality: Constructing Drug Knowledge in Research and Advertising”, with Elaine Carty, (2001) 23 Sydney Law Review, Special Issue on Medicine and Law, 543-576.
- “Entitlements for People with Developmental Disabilities” with Harry Beatty and David Baker, in Ivan Brown and Maire Percy (eds.), Developmental Disabilities in Ontario (2nd ed.) (Toronto: Front Porch Publishing, 2002) at 67-86, and (1st ed.) with David Baker, at 67-82.
- “Legal and Ethical Dimensions of Dual Diagnosis” in Dual Diagnosis: An Introduction to the Mental Health Needs of People with Developmental Disabilities. Dorothy Griffiths, Chrissoule Stavrakaki and Jane Summers (eds.) (Sudbury: NADD, Habilitative Mental Health Resource Network, 2002), at 56 1-593.
- “Here Be Dragons?: Creating Legal Understanding in Health and Social Service Environments” in Catalysts for University Education in Developmental Disabilities. Bruce McCreary, Patricia Peppin and Barbara Stanton (eds.) (Kingston: Developmental Consulting Program, 2001) at 177-190.
- “Women’s Health and Law — An Emerging Field” Editorial, with Lorraine E. Ferris (1999-00) 1 Journal of Women Health and Law ix.
- “A Feminist Challenge to Tort Law” in Feminist Perspectives on the Foundational Subjects of Law. Anne Bottomley (ed.) (London: Cavendish Publishing, 1996) at 69-85..
- “Feminism, Law and the Pharmaceutical Industry” in Frank Pearce and Laureen Snider (eds.) Corporate Crime: Contemporary Debates (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1995) at 87-113.
- “Power and Disadvantage in Medical Relationships” (1994) 3 Texas Journal of Women and the Law 221-263.
- “Emergency Legislation and Rights in Canada: The War Measures Act and Civil Liberties” (1993) 18 Queen’s Law Journal 129-190.
- “Drug/Vaccine Risks: Patient Decision-Making and Harm Reduction in the Pharmaceutical Company Duty to Warn Action” (1991) 70 Canadian Bar Review 473-516.
- “Justice and Care: Mental Disability and Sterilization Decisions” (1989-1990) 6 Canadian Human Rights Yearbook 65-112
- “Sexuality and Contraception for Developmentally Handicapped Persons” with Richard MacLachlan, Canadian Family Physician 1986: 32; 163: 1-37.