Exam Administration in the Faculty of Law at Queen's University
The Faculty of Law at Queen's University uses a cloud-based exam software called Examplify to administer exams. Students will install the software on their own laptop in order to take secure electronic exams. Students who choose not to use Examplify will handwrite exams. All exams are managed by the faculty with the exception of most accommodated exams. To prepare for a smooth testing day, we ask that you read all of the information below.
Exam schedules are posted here.
Please note the designated exam deferral date for fall is Friday December 20, 2019.
Accommodated exams are managed by the central exams office: please visit their website for details. If you require accommodations for exams, please ensure you have registered with Student Wellness Services no later than November 7 (Fall) and/or March 7 (Winter).
Computer Exams Presentation Slides
A copy of the PowerPoint presentation is available here.
Regulations and Policies
All regulations and policies are detailed in the Queen's Law Academic Calendar.
There is an annual fee of $40 USD to use Examplify (subject to change). You are required to pay the user fee before signing in to Examplify. Payments are made online using Visa, Mastercard or PayPal.This fee covers all use during the full academic year from September 1 through August 31.
Exceptions to Using Examplify
- Students with a documented disability who require exam accommodations must arrange required exam accommodations with Accessibility Services by the required deadline.
- All students with an accommodation must contact the Faculty's Manager of Education and Equity Services and send a copy of their Letter of Accommodations.
To prepare for a smooth testing day, we ask that you read all of the information below.
Before Arriving On Campus for Your Exam
You will receive an email from ExamSoft with instructions for downloading the software as well as a username and password. Students should register Examplify upon receipt of the email. If you have any questions or issues with registration, contact ExamSoft technical support at email@example.com or call toll-free 866.429.8889.
It is your responsibility to ensure:
- That your PC or Mac can open and run Examplify.
- That there is adequate hard drive space available.
- That your computer is virus free.
- That all updates have been done so you are not held up on the day of an exam.
- Once you have installed and registered Examplify, familiarize yourself with the software by utilizing the built-in Mock Exam.
- That your battery has at least 20 minutes of charge prior to the exam in the event there is a temporary power outage.
- The Faculty of Law at Queen's University has a custom home page: examsoft.com/qufl
- Mock Exam password: qlaw19
See below for device-specific instructions:
After registering, launch the program by opening the Examplify icon on your desktop. Click the "Take an Exam" button. On the Examplify Start Window, select "Mock Exam". Taking the Mock Exam ahead of time enables you to familiarize yourself with the exam environment. You may use the Mock Exam as many times as you wish.
Report to the designated exam room at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled exam time. You must bring the following items:
- Your Queen's Photo ID card.
- The power cord for your laptop.
- Your Examplify username and password.
- Do not bring any food or open drinks into the exam room.
When you arrive, plug your computer into a power outlet, turn on the computer, login to Examplify and click on your exam and follow the instructions provided. The proctor will provide the exam specific password.
After you have completed your exam you must wait for the green screen with a check mark to appear. This can take up to 5 minutes in some cases. Do not leave the exam room until you see the green screen. If 5 minutes has passed and the green screen doesn't appear go to the Student Services Office (MacDonald Hall room 200) for immediate assistance.
Reporting Late to a Computer Exam: Notice of Time Penalty
Students are required to report to their examinations 15 minutes before the exam time. If they arrive late, they are subject to loss of completion time for the examination.
Short Delay – up to 5 minutes
If the exam-taker arrives less than five minutes late and the student can be accommodated by the proctor in the examination hall without undue disruption to a timely start of the examination, then the student will be permitted to set up, log in and commence the computer examination. The student may use the time allotted in Examplify for the examination but will have to continue typing while with other students, who arrived on time, upload their examinations and leave the examination room.
The instructor will receive an examination incident report noting the late arrival.
Longer Delay – More than 5 Minutes
If the exam-taker arrives more than 5 minutes late to the examination room and the examination has already commenced, the proctor should ask the student to report to the Student Services Office, room 200 in MacDonald Hall.
- For a mid-exam freeze or crash, alert the proctor. Rebooting the computer without closing Examplify usually solves the problem. Your responses are saved and backed up automatically every 60 seconds. Hold down the power button until the computer restarts. The clock will be paused while the computer is rebooting.
- Exams will not be delayed or suspended due to individual computer problems.
- During the exam, use care when highlighting and deleting.
- Do not uninstall Examplify until you receive your exam grading or feedback.
- Students who do not take the time to become familiar with their laptop computer or with word processing functions should consider handwriting their exams. No administrative relief will be granted for incorrect use of the software.
- Any attempt to disable or tamper with Examplify's security features will be considered a violation of the student honour code. It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with your equipment and the software and instructions provided by ExamSoft on its website prior to the start of your exam. Please allow yourself sufficient time to become familiar with your laptop and the software.
If technical issues cannot be resolved within 5 minutes, Exam Takers will start to handwrite their exam answers. Extra writing time will not be allocated.
Students who encounter technical difficulties while installing the exam software should contact ExamSoft technical support directly at toll-free 1-866-429-8889 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
After installing Examplify on your laptop, Queen's Information Technology Services (ITS) advise you not to load any additional software until after you have finished your exams. Refraining from installing software after you install Examplify will help you avoid potential software conflicts.
If you have installation problems that ExamSoft technical support is unable to solve, you should contact the Student Services Office as soon as possible.
Contacts for Exam Administration Issues
Margie Gordon, JD Program Coordinator
MacDonald Hall Room 200B
613-533-6000 ext. 75795
Christina Ulian, Law Programs and Exams Assistant
MacDonald Hall Room 200
613-533-6000 ext. 74261
To report an incident during your exam, please do so immediately following your exam:
Helen Connop, Manager, Education and Equity Services
MacDonald Hall, Room 107
613-533-6000 ext. 78147