Welcome to the Law Casual Staff Information page! On this page you will find forms and information pertaining to Casual Employment with Queen's Law, including, but not limited to, payroll and tax forms, vaccination information, mandatory training, how to complete and submit forms and timesheets, payroll calendars and due dates, important reminders, Employee NetIDs and much more. If at any time you have questions, do not hesitate to contact Law Casual Pay via email.
(ie you have not worked at Queen's in the past 12 months), we will need the following:
- Completed Provincial tax form
- Completed Federal tax form
- Completed Casual Agreement Form (Graduate RAs) Casual Agreement Form (Casual Staff and Students) (signed by your supervisor with hourly rate and funding source). AND
- Direct deposit information – log into MyHR Employee Self-Service and add your banking information. Further information on how to obtain one’s banking information can be found at the New Employee Payroll Information page on the Financial Services website
Please visit the New Employee Payroll Information page on the Financial Services website for more information.
RETURNING EMPLOYEES or EMPLOYEES CURRENTLY WORKING AT THE UNIVERSITY, we will need a completed Casual Agreement Form (provided at link above), signed by your supervisor. A Casual Agreement Form is required for EACH position being worked.
The Queen's University Policy Regarding Mandatory Vaccination Requirements for In-person University Activities (the "Policy") requires ALL Community Members to be Fully Vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to participating in any in-person University activities. As a condition of employment, you must provide proof that you are Fully Vaccinated. Please refer to the Policy for more information.
All Queen's employees are required to complete the below training within two weeks of the appointment start date. All casual employees are paid up to a maximum of 5.5 hours for this training, if this training has not already been completed. Training modules can be accessed at the links below using an Employee NetID (which is separate from a Student NetID). If you do not have an Employee NetID, please see the section on Employee NetIDs for Student Employees for more information. Once training is complete, please advise Miranda Gavidia, HR and Staffing Officer, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health and Safety Awareness Training (1.5 hours)
Human Rights and Equity Office - AODA Training Suite (4 hours)
The following modules need to be completed:
Submitting Completed Forms and Timesheets
At this time the Faculty of Law will be accepting payroll paperwork and timesheets via email. Follow the steps below for submission:
- Complete required documents and obtain necessary approval from supervisor in the form of a handwritten or digital signature where needed. If approval is not obtained in advance see step 4.
- Password protect documents before sending them by email: Protect your PDF file with permissions using Adobe Acrobat XI
- Send documents via email to Law Casual Pay (send password in a separate email).
- If supervisor does not sign/approve documents in advance, send documents to supervisor, copying Law Casual Pay.
- FOR TIMESHEETS supervisors can approve, either by signing the documents or sending approval in writing with the following details:
- Name of student
- Position type
- Number of hours worked
- Pay period
How To Get Paid
- Submit all required documentation (see above)
- Fill in a time sheet (please make sure all areas are completed – an example of a properly completed timesheet - excluding the required signatures - can be found here).
- Obtain your supervisor's approval and handwritten signature on timesheet. If your supervisor is off campus, send the completed timesheet to your supervisor via email to obtain supervisor's approval and signature (copy Law Casual Pay on the email).
- For auditing purposes timesheets must include your signature AND your supervisor's signature/written approval.
- Human Resources prefers that hours be submitted every 2 weeks (the deadlines are typically on a Friday). Please refer to the Law Timesheet Schedule and/or Law Casual Payroll Schedule for more information on timesheet submission dates, pay days and payroll periods.
Employee NetIDs For Student Employees
Student employees can claim an Employee NetID here: https://netid.queensu.ca/selfservice/login/auth
- View and print pay advice slips
- View and print T4 slips (consent must be given in MyHR to receive T4 slips electronically, instructions can be found at the MyHR Self Service link below)
- Update mailing and banking information
Learn more about the MyHR Self Service tool here.
For any issues or questions regarding an Employee NetID, please call Queen's ITServices at 613-533-6666, Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., or use the online help form.
PLEASE NOTE: An Employee Net ID cannot be obtained until all required documentation has been submitted, received and processed. Law Casual Pay will advise via email when paperwork has been processed.
It is very important to keep employee identity separate from student identity!
Queen's ITS urges all student employees to keep their student and employee identity separate and use your employee email address for work-related email and do not forward an employee email account to a student email account. Find out more at the links below:
- Fact Sheet on the University Secretariat and Legal Counsel site.